Thursday, December 30, 2010

Petzinger Christmas – Year 4

When we found out Ben’s dad was sick with cancer, the Petzinger family got together for Christmas for the 1st time.  This was 2004.  Since then, we’ve done it in 2006, 2008 and 2010.  We are all spread out, so it makes it difficult sometimes, especially harsh winter traveling, but I am so grateful everyone makes the effort.  It is so great to see the 5 boys together and for the kids to establish that cousin relationship.  Now that we are moving from ID (our Christmas gathering place), we aren’t sure what the future will bring…but I think we’ve all made a commitment to keep getting together at least every other year.
Family
Unfortunately, this year we were missing a few:  Saori (James' wife, San Jose, CA), David & Shelagh & Henry (Bend, OR) & Kendrah & Hailey (Boise, ID, John’s oldest kids).   Even without them there were still 23 of us…and still growing with Shelagh and I both expecting…and the college age girls getting closer to marriage.  We may have to start renting a lodge for our gatherings.
Boys
Joseph, John, James, and Ben imitating a picture of their dad’s family (see below) from the 1950s…with only one person looking at the camera.   The question is “Who does that for a family picture?”  Obviously, the Petzinger’s do.
That person looking at the camera also happens to be the only brother present with hair.  (Sorry David…no feature of your hair, here). 
Hair, or lack thereof, has obviously become a Petzinger trait.
oma 20
BoyswithMom
The brothers with their beautiful mother.
Christmas Eve
VID00902
This really blurry picture (thanks to my kind of fixed – but not really – camera that dropped into Lake Powell) is of a very special Christmas Eve.  Ben and I prepared a Petzinger family jeopardy game that featured questions on the Petzingers, Everinghams, and D’Erricos, as well as special dates and events from the past.  Then it was time for traditional Bingo for great dollar store prizes.  The tools and the chapstick were the big hits.
After that, Ben and I had a surprise for everyone.  We had found an old cassette tape—at least 32 years old—featuring the voices and talents of the entire family, including Opa and Oma, Erika and Claire (Ben’s aunt and uncle) and their kids, and Werner and Kenee with all their kids, except Ben.  He was obviously too young to participate.  There are no recordings on video or tape that we know of, except this, so none of the grandkids had ever heard their parents voices when they were kids.  It was a lot of fun.  James had quite a drawl and was the expert violinist with new braces.  John reluctantly, it seemed, played the piano.  David was thrilled about a pet Opa and Oma were caring for.  And Joseph was quite young and needed a little help with his speech.  We also got to hear a lot of singing from Mom and talking from everyone else.  It was a rare treat.
Ben and I then presented all the brothers with their copy of the Petzinger family book that Ben and I have been working on for the last 3 years.  Ben had taken a box of OLD pictures from Germany…from pre-WWI all the way to the 1950s when his dad immigrated to the US.  He sat with Oma every time we were in Salt Lake going over the pictures with his grandmother and writing information down.  I then scanned all the pictures and organized them into a photo album featuring the Petzinger family from Ben’s great-great-great Grandfather to today.  I think it turned out pretty great.  I hope everyone enjoyed it.
After that, Joseph shared a special military Christmas story to help us remember the true meaning of Christmas, as well as the sacrifice our military makes for us to enjoy Christmas in a free country.
Christmas Morning
Teens
The teens (almost adults), Joshua, Erika, and new college girls Alecia & Alex (Ben’s step sister visiting us from Pennsylvania)
Mom2
Grandma
 VID00878
No Christmas is complete without Legos
VID00877
VID00876
And a pink cell phone for the 2 year old going on 16.
Ben
I had a fun time this year surprising Ben with something “FUN” not practical.  I’m getting better at this fun gift giving every year…
 Ben2
Instead of the new “corporate office” clothes and other stuff he needed, he got everything he needs for an ice fishing outing…that included a power auger (not a cheap hand auger), fishing tent and sled to pull the gear in behind the snowmobile.  I hope he and the boys get a lot of use out of it over the years—ok, there is the practical side of me, still.  :)
 EthanBryson
Ethan and Bryson – nice grins
 HannahAmmon
Ammon & Hannah
ColtonAnna
Colton & Anna
VID00882
Myah and Anna
VID00880 VID00875
Anna and Lincoln are only a few months apart and they quickly figured that out and became buddies.  They were both walking around with their “cool” sunglasses on.  I wish I could have gotten that picture.
 BrysonTruck
Bryson with the awesome Santa present (A helicopter hauler – remote control helicopter and semi truck) that broke within two days.  Of course.
 ColtonTruck ColtonLegos
The finished product…the Semi – Helicopter turned out to be kind of a theme this Christmas.
MORE FAMILY
 VID00890
What would we do without Raquel’s smiling face and infectious laugh around!?!
 VID00895
And we love Angie…and feel so bad she has to deal with sick kids EVERY YEAR.  That will soon go away with years, we hope.
 VID00900
And Joe.  I don’t think I need to say anything.  This picture says it all.
 John
John.  The source of hair envy by all his brothers.
VID00885
James brings all the great treats!  I have no idea where he finds this stuff!  But we love it.  (I promise that isn’t all you’re good for.)
 Momsleeping
And no Christmas (or any family gathering) is complete without the picture of the sleeping Grandma who can fall asleep ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.  I think after our week, we all felt like this.  Until next time.
We love you all!
Merry Christmas!

No comments: