Friday, December 3, 2010

Chewi and the Chickens

I don’t even really want to post about this horrible day…it is something I kind of would like to forget, but it is also something that should be remembered…because that is exactly what it is…MEMORABLE.

VID00719

It was Friday, December 3rd.  I was in my office working when I saw Chewi in the front yard with a chicken in her mouth.  Oh great!  Where did that come from?  I was hoping that she’d just found a chicken killed and left by the Coyotes, but I knew I wouldn’t be so lucky.  Sure enough…Chewi discovered how fun it was to chase the Miller’s egg laying hens in snow and….kill them.  By the time Ben got home, he discovered that she had killed what we originally thought were all 13 of their chickens.  We later found out that ONE had hid under the coop and survived.  Only ONE.  It was completely out fault and we felt absolutely horrible.  I naively thought Chewi would never do anything like that.  I’m so used to having a little 5 lb mini pinscher whose only fault is to be onery and annoying.  We were not prepared and did not take seriously the kind of damage a Rottweiler could do.  Unfortunately we had to learn the hard way—and hopefully didn’t lose the friendship of good neighbors because of it.

We wanted to make it right, so thanks to Craigslist, we were able to find a farm who was selling older egg laying hens…so Ben drove that night to Nampa and back to replace Tizz’s chickens.  Chewi has been on lockdown since—either in the garage or house—which has been a challenge, too.  We have finally got an invisible fence installed (in 4 ft of snow) and have begun training.  We are hopeful it will work, so I don’t lose my sanity.  (See next post).

No comments: