My kids had a fun day discovering what the above picture was all about. Ben and I had found some old tapes we wanted to listen to, so we pulled out a walkman we still had (why do we still have it? who knows) to listen to it. The kids got a hold of the walkman and kept asking what it was for and what it would do. I found a blank tape, put it in, hit record and had them tell me what they wanted for Christmas. Then I rewound it and let them listen.
They were fascinated.
The internet doesn’t amaze them. My iPod is boring with the same old games and songs. Bowling or playing tennis on TV with a remote—no big deal! Forwarding through commercials and pausing live TV thanks to TiVo…normal everyday life. But a tape player! Now that was cool. It got even cooler when I had them sing Jingle Bells…then played it back to them in fast speed, so they sounded like the chipmunks. They couldn’t stop laughing and wanted to do it again and again. It took a bit for Colt to figure out that if he hit record at the beginning he’d record over what he’d already done. He did not understand why it wouldn’t just start recording from where he left off. Hmmm…No concept of something non-digital, I guess.
It sure was a fun afternoon, though. Who knew a tape player could provide such enjoyment.
No comments:
Post a Comment