My mom had an experience a few weeks ago where a lady walked into the shutter shop needing help finding the nearby battered woman’s shelter. She was with her kids attempting to escape an abusive relationship. My mom was able to take her there and was shocked to find this “shelter” in dire need. It was essentially a warehouse with a concrete floor and a bunch of mattresses on the floor. After this, she asked the family to make this shelter our family Christmas project. We gathered up a large amount of things on the shelter’s greatest needs list and then Nana and Pop took all the older grandkids to the shelter to make the donation.
It is so easy to forget – or not even think about – what others may be going through, so it is always good to remember those not so fortunate and do our part, however small, to make their lives easier. I’m glad the kids are getting older to be involved in things like this, as well. They need to be aware that there is more out there than just our life.
Lilly, Colton, Bryson, Adrey, Ian, Brent & Brooke
After the visit to the shelter, we followed our regular Christmas Eve traditions (even though it was the week before). Finger Foods, a prize winning Bingo Game, the kid’s nativity, gift opening…and this year there was even a family version of Jeopardy. Lots of fun. Thanks Mom & Dad for your efforts and for taking such great care of us! Enjoy the pictures from the big night starting with…
The Three Girls – all matching, thanks to Nana! I can see this picture being repeated A LOT over the next years.
Lilly and Anna (and her fingers…still!)
Anna and her cabbage patch doll. There is a story with this because as a child I asked for years for a cabbage patch for Christmas and NEVER got one. We were at a thrift store this fall and Anna latched on to a very used old cabbage patch doll. I was going to buy it for her…I think because I was thinking about the fact that I never got mine. Mom was with me and insisted I put the doll back—that she would buy her a new one.
2 1/2 years old and she already gets the coveted doll. (I guess it isn’t a big deal now—just in my past.) :)
Even the dogs got gifts from their Nana & Pop. Atlas appropriately got a squeaking squirrel…that he held onto for his life…even when Mickey and Daisy tried stealing it from him. Despite his lack of teeth, he was miraculously able to hold onto that thing.
Smiley with his Hot Wheels toy.
More matching girl clothes…the GLITTER dresses.
(This dress left a path of glitter from the car all the way through the church) It sure is gorgeous, though!
Nana, Tawny & new dad Jake
Nate & Becky
New Moms…Shae & London
Heather with Tawny & Anna
The Kids Nativity
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And then there was the day after…Ben and I had snuck away for our anniversary, so Nana & Pop
who had given each other new Grandkids Room toys for Christmas got to become parents again
by putting all the toys together.
Pop with Anna opening the “girl” dollhouse – already a hit with her…just wait until Tawny and London are old enough…
The boy present – a little people car tower
Merry Christmas McEntire Family!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment