Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Disney World – Day 1 MAGIC KINGDOM

We had the amazing opportunity to go to Florida to Disney World for Spring Break this year with my parents.  Thanks to frequent flyer miles and pretty decent flight prices…not to mention my parents time share exchange, the trip was affordable.  I felt like the kids were the perfect age to enjoy it, especially since Anna has a current obsession with the princesses.  Also, Ben has never done Disney…not even Disneyland.  Even though it was spring break, it was surprisingly not that crowded.  We hardly had to wait in line for anything.  And the weather was absolutely perfect – 80 degrees and sunshine EVERY DAY!

Here are some pictures from the first day.  The castle, of course, was the immediate highlight for Anna.  She couldn’t believe she was actually looking at Cinderella’s castle.

                 IMG_5849

IMG_5865 

Yes, I’m in a wheelchair.  Thanks to complications with my uterus wanting to fall out of my body, it made it pretty much impossible to walk for more than 1/2 hour.  I, nor the baby, are in danger, but it just becomes very painful.  Since all we are doing at Disney is walking, a wheelchair became my only option…but it made for a nice break for the kids every once in awhile.  (Anna most of the time to the dismay of the boys). 

MK0007

When I was 18, I was a nanny in Orlando for a good friend of mine.  We had season passes to Disney, so I went all the time.  Magic Kingdom hasn’t changed much since then (18 years ago), but it is the process of changing.  A lot of it was closed off for construction of a new Fantasyland that looks like it will be amazing.  These pictures are from the classic Swiss Family Tree House where the kids were able to take a little break and play around.

IMG_5864

Like I said, it hasn’t changed much, and Tomorrowland Speedway should be called Blast from the Past Speedway.  Colton is excited for any rides where he can drive a car and this was no exception, but it left a lot to be desired.  Thank goodness for Epcot’s real race car ride.

MK0012  IMG_5850

One of the few “newer” rides at Magic Kingdom, a Buzz Lightyear interactive video game.  The boys loved this.

IMG_5856

One of only two rides we had to wait in line for…and it is STILL so not worth it.  Creepy.  I’m sure you know what I’m talking about…It’s a Small World.  I just felt since Ben had never experienced Disney at all, he needed to at least do it once.  Shouldn’t have done it.  We’ll remember next time.

IMG_5860 My cute parents who were SO GREAT to have around to help with the kids and enjoy this with us!

IMG_5862 The end of Day 1 was spent at Hollywood Studios to see the new Fantasmic Show.  It was a great display of music, lasers, fireworks…and Anna is engrossed right now because the princesses are going by on a boat.  She waved and laughed and pointed…even though it had been a long and late first day, she’ll pay attention to the princesses.  Just before this event, I asked my mom, “Why do we do this?  Why do we think this is fun for our kids?”  They had been a little overwhelmed by the first day…the people, the going from one thing to the next, and they were tired.  Seeing the excitement Anna displayed upon seeing the princesses—we both looked at each other and said, “This is why we do it!”

MK0032 And, after this exhausting first day…each day got better and better…and it was totally worth it!

MK0036

No comments: