Friday, December 12, 2008

Winter of '77

NEW ORLEANS WITH SNOW
SUN VALLEY WITH NO SNOW

DOLLAR MTN WITH MAN MADE SNOW






I remember my dad talking about the winter of '77 when he dug and set all the post holes for our back pasture on our small farm near Caldwell, Idaho in Canyon County. He did this by hand - power augers were not legal on our property. I don't remember telling him that I used a power auger later on when I set a bunch of posts for him as a summer evening project he gave me. I felt guilty when I saw his post hole digger with the well-used shiny wood handles - I had been unfaithful to a good tool. ANYWAY - He said that it did not snow that year ('77) and there was no frost in the ground. He said it with a smile like he had accomplished a coup de tat against Mother Nature in getting soo much work done. Dad loved to work.








So, I take these memories that rattle around in my gray matter and apply it to current events. Obama meets with Algore with a resolve to fix the environment. "Time for debate is over. A majority of scientists agree that something must be done". We've heard it all before. I am not a farmer with an almanac. I am not a scientist with grant money from George Soros or Exxon Mobile. I am a dude with a camera and I have my own observations about Man and Mother Nature.








Here in Sun Valley the Ski Industry is kind of important. People have been coming here since the 30's. The first chair lifts were even installed here. You need snow for skiing unless you roller blade in the middle of the street with the cross country ski wheel things. SHARE THE ROAD.








As I was driving by Dollar Mountain - I realized that they have been blowing man-made snow for weeks as long as the temps have been condusive. Then I looked up to Baldy (not my head) and realized the same. For all the time, money, water, electricity, labor, equipment, piping, cooling towers, grooming, maintenance, snowcats, MORE WATER, and more time - there is not much to show for it. Granted, the Sun Valley Co. is very good at what they do. But they don't do Mother Nature very well......like she can.








There is a snow storm comming this weekend. It's comming from the North. I hope for a lot of snow - we need it. In one fraction of a second, this storm will produce more moisture in this small valley than the Ski Industry's finest equipment could produce in several weeks and who know's how much water and money.








So what's the reasoning behind my rambling?: It is simple. Man's puny arm outstretched against mother nature or even to assist her is pure arrogance. ARROGANCE for Obaminators is defined as: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions. A well-respected colleage of mine asked if I believed in Global Warming yet? I told him "no, I believe in God." It is not a flippant response, rather a point to be had that Science is based on fact - not belief. The earth has warmed - so what! Did I cause it? Show me the facts - not an arrogant politician with beliefs.








If it is science people are interested in - look up the definition of CONCENSUS. By definition, there cannot be a concensus in science becuase when there is: you have created a religion.








Thanks for spending lunch with me....... and enjoy the pictures. Especially the one from New Orleans where it snowed. Snow tires and chains were not included in the FEMA aid. It's W's fault again.

1 comment:

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

And to think, we get to share this beautiful valley with George Soros. I have to sent him a refund check for double payment on some work we did. Would you like me to include a note? :)

And I thought all of this was about the fabulous year of 1977 and the earth changing events that happened in June, the 29th to be exact. Figure that out, MR SMARTY PANTS! :)