"We look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms. The first is freedom of speech and expression--everywhere in the world. The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way--everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want--everywhere in the world. The fourth is freedom from fear..." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jan 6, 1941.We took the boys to the Hailey Cemetery today for Hailey's Memorial Day Services. The cemetery was decorated with American Flags on 361 service men's graves. There were representatives from all of our armed services, beautiful music, inspiring speeches and a flyover from the Air Force. They may have been a little bored, but I hope they gained something from the experience. I want to make sure my kids understand what Memorial Day is and why it is important to truly remember.
I often find myself anxious over the state of our country and its leaders, but when I really think about it--we truly do live in the greatest FREE country on earth. I can say what I want, I can do what I want (within the confines of the law), I can raise my children as I see fit, I can worship whomever and however I want. The majority of the people in this world can't say that and I feel blessed. I am grateful for the men and woman who have made it possible...and are trying to make that a reality for those elsewhere in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment