Happy Birthday to one of my very best friends, my dad! How many daughters can call their dad one of their best friends? I'm so grateful I can. Our relationship hasn't always been roses--it has had its rocky times, especially when I was a teenager wrecking his cars and dating boys he didn't approve of. I know it was because he always wanted the very best for his only daughter and expected a lot out of me. The one thing that has always remained constant has been his belief in me. He always believed that I had the potential to do whatever I wanted to do in life. I remember the first time he began to ask for my "business" advice. He probably didn't really need it, but my opinions seemed to matter to him and that mattered to me.And at 54, he is still in the best shape of his life. He has been getting up by 5:30 every morning for at least the last 15 years--probably longer--and working out. Don't tell anyone this, but we used to work out together to Cindy Crawford's workout video. :) Not only does he still ski like the picture below (from this year's Lake Powell trip), but he also took on a killer mountain bike ride this year with all the "young" guys from the office. I am sure he shocked everyone.
And...he is the best grandpa in the world. He especially has this special touch with Anna. If she is fussing or won't go to sleep, you hand her to Pop and she's out in a few seconds. He loves this little girl... Just as much as he loves my little boys...and they love him. Whenever they are in trouble at home, they cry "I want my Pop!" As if they'd get sympathy from him. Colton even says that when "its been too long since I've seem my pop, my throat hurts." The only thing I can think of is that he almost starts to cry missing him.
2006 Lake Powell building a giant sand castle with the boysWe love you Pop. Thanks for making so many opportunities for incredible family memories. We hope you have a great birthday!
2 comments:
Oh, that was really sweet!
Great post Jelina! Your dad is a great guy! Happy Birthday John!
Post a Comment