Today is my mom's birthday. My mom...my best friend since I was about 12 years old.
It probably helped that she is so young...she always joked that she'd be taking care of me in my old age before I'd be taking care of her--and she's probably right, considering she always has things under control, unlike me. She has ALWAYS had everything under control and practically perfect--except maybe when it came to old junker cars we always drove when I was a kid. Those cars were the only thing I ever saw rattle my mom.
She has always been there for me. She was the first (besides my husband) to see each of my babies after they were born.
She has come to my rescue at a minutes notice many times. Just last year when I was building this house, I had a painting crisis - she was here in a day with one of her best friends and helped me repaint almost this entire house.
So, in tribute to her today here are the TOP 5 things I love about my mom - these are all things I wish I could say about myself. I'm still working on it.
1) You can always tell her anything and trust her completely. I've always felt like I can talk to her about anything and she'll understand. She always keeps confidences. She thinks before she speaks (unlike me). She is an incredible listener.
2) She has a way of calming any situation and calming me down if I'm upset about something. She can always get me thinking logically and realistically before I do something I will regret.
3) She is NEVER idle. Ever since I was a little girl she was taking classes in something. She has become good at so many things. There was tole painting, quilting, floral arranging, caligraphy (which she let me go to classes with her), teaching, carpentry, welding, gardening, painting, singing, piano, etc., etc., etc. I don't think I can even remember them all. And now, she builds shutters in the shop of her own business: Clearview Shutters. She has no problem getting her hands dirty. (I'll do a post on her paintings one of these days - they are beautiful) 
My mom's yard4) She is an impecible housekeeper, list maker, planner, accomplisher and cook. Luckily this one she passed on to me, too--mostly. Meals are always planned ahead of time and done on time. The house is always clean - even when we were kids. No activity is just "thrown" together...and if it is, you can't tell.
5) And still at 52, she looks amazing. She always looks great. I don't think I've ever seen my mom on a regular day without her hair done, makeup on, and a great outfit - unless we are doing some construction project, which happens a lot in our family. Even then, she looks good in paint clothes. She takes care of her body and keeps her weight in check (not that hard with her genes--but she still does). 

My mom with Bryson at Curt & Shae's wedding last summer
Nana & Pop with my kids
2 comments:
What a great tribute to your mom! I loved living next-door to you! I always thought of your mom as a second mother. I remember all of our friends thought she was your sister! Happy Birthday!
Well, it makes sense how you got your good looks... your mom is SO pretty!
Post a Comment