It sounded like a great date...ride the River Run lift to the top and eat at the famous "Roundhouse Restaraunt." So, when we had some friends come into town to visit, we thought it would be the perfect opportunity to show them a little more of Sun Valley than just a drive through town....not to mention a great get away from the kids for an adult outing.I should have asked more questions of the person who suggested it (Amy). I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. I tend to always get us into situations like this, though, so it came to no surprise to Ben.
I had never been to the River Run lift area of Baldy Mountain. I had never snowboarded anywhere on that mountain, so I had no idea they didn't have gondolas. Why would they advertise a "foot pass" to the top to eat at a restaraunt for the non-skiiers if they didn't have a gondola? And who knew that it wasn't just one quick lift ride, but three different lift rides. So, first of all, we felt quite out of place walking onto a high-speed quad through the snow in our street clothes--and let me emphasize street clothes--not snow clothes. The guys were sporting jeans and a fleece jacket...and Tricia and I were in black slacks, casual boots; but at least we had coats. Thank goodness we had coats, because partially up the 1st lift, the blizzard began. Not just snow falling--a blowing blizzard at 7000' on a freezing cold chairlift while in street clothes.
So, after almost 1/2 hour of riding three different lifts, we finally made it to the restaraunt. Was it worth it? Ben says that "Nothing was worth the frostbite, not even two great bratwursts." But it just wouldn't have been as great of a story OR memory, if we had peacefully riden a warm, enclosed gondola directly up to the restaraunt and back down again, now would it?
And back down we had to go...with the lift attendants laughing their heads off at our ill-prepared attire, our white frozen hair and pants, and our obviously frozen minds. What were we thinking? Ok...what was I thinking? Thanks for being such good sports, Tricia and Micah! We loved having you here for the weekend...after 5 years...let's now wait another 5 years...especially now that we are both in Idaho. Yeah for Idaho...except for the continuous snow when you least expect it.
It started out so nice...Me & Ben on the lift

Tricia & Micah Scott enjoying the lift

And then there was this...
Not so nice, anymore...but memorable!

5 comments:
Looks like fun. Don't worry I would have been just as unprepared. I didn't know it took all that to get to the restaurant:)
That is totally hilarious! I'm glad you made it out alive! You need to pamper your pregnant self!
Hah! That is too funny =). I knew that it was just the regular ol' ski lift, but still wouldn't have been prepared for the freak snow storm =). That seriously cracks me up!
That's hilarious...mostly because I wasn't the one freezing. Good thing you have such a good sense of humor to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing!
hahaha! It does make for a great story and a night that none of you are likely to ever forget! It's good to see you still had smiles on your faces in that last picture!
:)
Post a Comment