My first triathlon. Why did I do it? Yes, I'm a competitve person, but I've never been a racer. I just needed a goal...wanted to get in better shape...try and get rid of a little of that extra baby fat...feel better...you know, all those things. And what better way to do it than to participate in a race. I started training in July...so I didn't have a lot of time, but it turned out to be long enough to complete it and not come in last. :)

Here I am at 7 am, waiting for the race to start. Surrounded by a
HUGE VARIETY of people who were racing...
about 400 of them.
Ben was with me and said
"If I ever did something like this I'd show up wearing
one of those unitard things or a speedo and nothing else."
And then....look who walked up?
Chip & Dale
Ben made me get a picture with them and
they loved the attention.
Some of you may have heard that they closed Oquirrh Lake
because of roundworm cases, so they had to change the swim portion to a
75 meter swim + 1 mile run to the bikes.
Here I am after the swim, on my way to the bikes.
Waving to my great family cheering me on.
Off on the bikes...a 12.4 mile ride up to the base of
Kennecott Mines. It was a climb. But it was fun coming back down.
My sweet sisters-in-law painting their faces, so they can
appropriately cheer me on.
Their faces are sporting "JP" as if I deserve to have
a sport nickname. Ya right!
Nana's purse kept Anna occupied during the race
And Pop kept them all occupied.
(Notice the cute little hair growing back)
Even though I ended up doing it by myself, it was great
to have a support system cheering me on.
Back from the bikes...
My favorite part about passing my family was seeing my boys beaming faces
and Anna's blank look--"What is my mom doing? Why isn't she with me?"
And finally to the finish line after the longest 3.1 mile run I think I've ever done.

Will I do it again? I've been thinking about it a lot...
I now have the experience. I have a baseline to measure my progress.
1:42:57. What? I basically worked out for almost 2 hours straight.
Am I crazy?!
I really hate to run, and I don't know if that hatred subsided any during my training.
And I just learned how to swim this year, so I'm not very good at it.
So, I don't know if I'll keep doing triathlons. Maybe.
But I'm definitly going to keep training for something!
It was great!
Thanks family for your support!
5 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so proud of you and very excited! It looks like a great race and wish I could've done it with you. Someday!
That is great Jelina, especially since you only started training in July. What an accomplishment.
You totally rock lady! If I could swim I'd do one with you...I guess you'll just have to do the half marathon with me instead :)
Wow Jelina! That is so inspiring! Congrats!!!
I can't believe you did a triatholon!!! That is awesome:) You look great. You've given me some inspiration to get myself back in shape -- BUT maybe not for a couple weeks:) Great job, kiddo!!
Post a Comment