Monday, October 5, 2009

Lake Powell - Year 4

Our Lake Powell week landed over Labor Day this year
Which means we had to deal with
not having the lake completely
to ourselves.
Darn.
THE FAMILY
Despite the crowds and choppy water
for Friday-Sunday,
we still had an amazing trip

Everyone was able to make it this year--
21 & 1/2 people
(including the baby in Shae's belly)
+ 4 dogs
It was great to have ALL of us this year.
Me & my 4 good-lookin' brothers.
I look so small next to them,
don't I?
I obviously got my mom's size genes...
thank goodness.

The 5 couples who are responsible for
constantly increasing the size of this family
one baby at a time

Those NINE babies with their Nana & Pop!

The traditional McEntire Family Roll-up...

is now passed on to the grandkids to do

It got a little dangerous for us adults to
roll up and topple over
Anna....or "Boo" with her first pig tails
in her favorite spot on the boat -
the feet cleaner tub.
Anna-"Boo" with my incredibly beautiful niece Brooke.

Anna & her Pop hanging on the great beach

She has no fear of water...
at least she won't go IN by herself

The little ones' very own "Lake Powell" on the beach

My beautiful little girl
I'm indulging in all kinds of pictures of her,
I know;
I just can't help it.
I'm trying to slow down time.

She is growing up way too fast.
PLAYTIME
Surfing was the BIG hit again this year.
Why did we buy an Inboard/Outboard
boat before we had discovered "surfing"?
But, we still had to pull out the ski....
with a little twist -
My brothers decided to attempt clearing the wake
on a ski...
and succeeded.
The boys favorite action
was hiking the cliffs behind us
and finding "rock seats"
THE SUNDAY DRIVE:
RAINBOW BRIDGE
View from the dock
And yes, it is labor day and there is no one there...
it was a Sunday morning...
everyone must still be recovering from Saturday night.
Bryce, Colt & Anna with
Mom & Dad in front of the iconic
Rainbow Bridge
With Nana & Pop

Handsome boys--
who have become quite the little hikers

Dad catching carp with his bare hands
In his "get 'er done" red neck shirt
using goldfish as bait
The Sunday site-seeing group
on Jake's boat
Always smiley Bryce
at the head of the boat while
we ventured into a slot canyon for lunch

No words necessary

Bryce went from not even getting in the water Day 1
to swimming this slot canyon by himself

Anna LOVES boating. I hope that continues beyond 2.

Aunt Shae & Colt being pulled by Pop
(the kids' & pregnant moms' motorboat)

Lake Powell just isn't Lake Powell without
Dad doing a cannon ball off the back of the houseboat.

Colton FINALLY going off the slide.
It was only once, but at least he did it.

OUCH!
Had to document Pop's feet...
he got these blisters running up a HOT dock
at Dangling Rope Marina --
the same dock he got these same blisters
when he was a kid.
Some people never learn. :)
I think the next 4-5 pictures are my favorite...
Notice Nana's face as she gets started surfing.
So happy!
"Hey this is fun!"
"Well, I thought it was fun.
Now I'm not so sure."
"Oh my! This is definitly NOT fun!"

"Why am I doing this!?!"

"I want to be back in the boat....NOW!"

"Check me out! This is great! I won't even
have to get my hair wet!"

Pop! You are going the wrong way!
He actually did really great...but I thought this
was a great picture!
IT'S AIRTIME
Ben catching some air
Curt with a nice side grab

Nate, the natural.
Strap something on his feet
and he'll kick butt at it
Curt on the waverunner behind
Nate surfing

The human ballast...
he will hire out by the hour and sit wherever you need him...
(DISCLAIMER: He really doesn't have that big of a gut...I promise)
WAR GAMES
The men

This "rough" pic had to be posted.
This is Dave on his way back down...
I have never seen anyone fly
SO HIGH
off a tube
The kids war games were MUCH tamer

The attempt to use the floating tramp as a tube...
It took Pop for quite a ride as it completely flipped over

The tramp didn't have a chance with these three on, though.
Those "stuck-on" anchor points pulled right off the tramp.
They didn't go anywhere.
Darnit--it looked like it could be so much fun.
And you thought Lake Powell was for learning water sports.
Colton learned how to crochet from his Aunt Heather.

The human grandkid pillow - Pop
The "break from the water" pasttime...playing cards.
THE DOGS

This year had 4 DOGS...yes that is FOUR.


Puppy Jewie (Dave & Carly), Mickey (Curt & Shae),
Daisy (Jake & Heather)
and our own anti-social Atlas

Have you ever seen anything cuter
to end the longest post in my blog history?
(I think I said that last year of Daisy...
well the puppy of the year gets the cute honor)
It was another great year!
Thanks Everyone!
Until next year
(Which isn't over Labor Day--
thank goodness!)
and is now traumatized for life, I'm afraid.

5 comments:

Just Us said...

Fun, fun, FUN!!
I love all the pictures. My favorite is the one of you holding Anna and her hair is blowing in the wind. I love the face she is pulling. So cute.

*Elle said...

Looks like so much fun!

John-n-Mel said...

SO much fun and soo beautiful! Both Lake Powell and your family. Love the pictures and yes I agree you look teeny next to your brothers.

Norris Fam said...

I'm glad you said something about Ben's red neck shirt or I would have had to bring it up :)

I love cute Anna's hair in piggie tails...she is growing up way to fast!

I love family traditions like these!

The Hills said...

Jelina, I have decided that you are in fact...a midget:) Looks like a blast. I will try to prolong showing these pics as long as possible to Jared lest he grab the swimsuit and ski and we leave tomorrow:)