McEntire Madness!
$5 a bracket entry = $30 pot this year
Thanks Jake for doing this every year. It is so fun.
I didn't watch a single game.
I knew nothing about the teams.
I was a good guesser this year.
I picked by the names I liked:
Gonzaga
Villanova
I did not pick any Utah teams.
I expected they couldn't do it.
The reason I'm sharing this post, though, is to document the
hilarious email chain that occured after I won.
If you haven't read Ben's blog post...
Then start there (if you care)
Ben's response to Jake's announcement of my win:
"Jelina will not be accepting any payment for her greedy March Madness Bonus. She has decided to refuse this bonus as a stimulus package to all the plebes who did not win life’s lottery of March Madness. Jelina’s guilt associated with having won such a hard fought and closely contested tournament is almost too much to bear. As I type – she is soaking the pillows with her well-intentioned tears of guilt and compassion to us losers. She is an inspiration to us all! Jelina was soo committed to the cause of equality that simply watching NC soundly paddle Mich State was torture for her - she knew her punishment was to be labeled as “winner”. It didn’t take long though for her nobleness to shine through as Jelina began (in vain) to cheer for Michigan State so she wouldn’t have to face the glory of success among her familial peers. As the ‘Tar Heeled’ goats (formerly known as confederate soldiers whose identity was put asunder by the more politically sensitive among us) continued to beat upon the Spartans (war-loving mongrels), Jelina slowly accepted her fate as a born winner in this contest and resolved to refuse all earnings out of guilt and sympathy to the rest of us losers. Her stimulus package will be fairly distributed is this manner (patterned after the great master of redistribution – Oh-bama):
Jelina $0 – She is the winner and winners must never win!
Jake $0 – He is close enough to the winner and that constitutes someone who must never win!
Ben $5 – He is viewed as the dependent loser spouse and a sporadic tax credit allows him to keep his wager.
Mom $0 – She is a small business owner and is pillaging earnings from her employees!
Curtis $0 – He works in the health care industry and should be punished until our system is equal to Cuba’s!
Dad $250 – He is clearly the recipient of his fair share in this contest according to the Federal Gov’ts standards. Dad is abundantly disadvantaged his abilities to compete in this arena of March Madness and therefore is ENTITLED to this token of appreciation for playing (we’ll all give him a soft pat on his back and reassure him that “it’s going to be ok”).
I have no idea where this money will come from – perhaps Colton, Bryson and Anna should start saving up to pay off Pop."
Pop: (My Dad)
"Finally - thanks to Oh-Bama-ness the wealth is "properly" re-distributed to the "entitled" LOSER. Note the definition of loser that applies in this situation is "a person adversely affected by a situation" so certaintly "it wasn't my fault" and therefore I am ENTITLED to the money."
Jake (who would have won if Michigan had won):
"Good Job Jelina! You do know by rooting for Michigan to lose, you were rooting for our economy to continue fail. A win for Michigan St would have stimulated the state with the worst unemployment rate without spending billions of dollars. Maybe I should talk to Obama, we can get this overturned for the good of the country!"
I always love a little political fun. At least we have something to laugh about. Speaking of that...I think we still have a lot to laugh about. So, keep laughing everyone!

No comments:
Post a Comment