Sunday, October 11, 2009

Yellowstone in Winter

Our trip was the first week of October.
Yes, I know that isn't officially "winter",
but this year we went from 80 degrees to 35 degrees and snow in 1 day...
and it just happened to be during our trip.
Despite the frigid temperatures,
it turned out to be
THE BEST
Yellowstone trip I have had in my 34 years.


No Yellowstone trip is complete without a trip to
OLD FAITHFUL

It also happened to be the ONLY place we could get to
that first day

Thanks to road closures for a fire around Yellowstone Lake
and construction on the other side of the park

And just as I was completely fascinated by everything
I saw when I was a child...

My kids were totally into it, as well.

It doesn't matter how old I get
and how many times I go,
I am still awed by this place

What in the world did those first explorers think
about this steamy place
in the middle of a forest?

Anna spent most of the week on my back
and was just as fascinated as the boys.

Amazing stuff!

Anna was full of smiles for her Uncle Curtis
aka "Camera Man"

And more smiles...

Our forever family friends Dan & Cindy Bain joined us.
One of the last times I went to Yellowstone was with
the Kaysville group we always camped with:
Bains, Jensens, Weidhauers, Bowmans

Don't let those beautiful blue skies fool you.
It was COLD.

Which made those steamy hot pools look all the more
TEMPTING
(Ya right!)

Pop talked us into taking the hike to Morning Glory Pool.
It was his favorite memory as a kid...and according to him
we were always too whiney and didn't want to walk to it
when we were kids...
(I don't believe that)
So 25 years later, he got us there.
It wasn't as blue as he remembered--
thanks to littering men with moustaches and short pants
(Internal joke)

Castle Geyser
We thought it was better than Old Faithful

The boys commented that this was the
Real Volcano

We just happened to be there at the right time
For a pretty random geyser

Ben was trying to make it look like the geyser
is coming out of Colton's head...
Convincing?

We also hiked to ALL the water falls.
This was the brink of Upper Falls in
Yellowstone Canyon.

Looking down the falls.
Great picture, Curt.

The family hikers
including the dogs.

Pop is a happy man!
Love the smile, dad.

Colt the goat

What is it about rocks that say to little boys,
"Climb me!"

Camping is the best for little boys
with lots of energy

Lower Falls
Yellowstone Canyon

The token family picture
And Yes...that is a fox on Ben's head.
He was a popular man wherever we went
because of that hat.
Oh ya, sorry...it was because of him only;
not the hat.
Curt & Shae

Bright eyes and Rosy cheeks

Dave, Carly, Booke, Lily & Ian

Colton sporting his fur hat
just like his dad

Bryce sportin' his perma smile

Brink of Lower Falls
Now that is a HIKE!

These boys rocked on their
feet this trip

Tower Falls
The best part of driving up to this Falls
was what we saw on the way there & back...
First, it was a black bear

Just chilling on the side of the road
eating some "stuff."

There is something much more exciting
about seeing a bear in the
wild vs the zoo
But the BIG ONE
was the
GRIZZLY
I've been to Yellowstone 7 or 8 times
and only saw a grizzly through bincoluars
But this time...
We got to see TWO VERY CLOSE.
This one crossed the road right in front of
my brothers truck...

Then walked along the edge for quite sometime,
completely ignoring the mayhem of
cameras and cars right next to him.
It was UNFORGETTABLE!
We also saw THREE
of these Bull Elks
with their cows
grazing
along side the road

And TONS (Literally)
of these
BUFFALO

The kids with a heard
of Bison behind them

Obviously, they opened up the "fire closed" road
by Saturday. It was still burning on both sides of the road.
The forces of Mother Nature always fascinate me.
And our last and final token picture:
Colton burying his face in his coat
because he is DONE!
He is done walking.
He is done driving.
He just wants to go back to camp and ride his bike.
He does NOT want a picture in front of the
Yellowstone Limo.
So...goodnight!

4 comments:

Kara said...

Those are some awesome pictures. Would be need to see those bears up close!

The Hills said...

So I lived in Cody (about 45 minutes from yellowstone) as a kid for about 5 years and your pictures brought back so many memories. That makes me want to go there...like right now. I'm glad you guys had such a great time!

Norris Fam said...

You guys camped in that cold weather??? What troopers!

I've NEVER seen a bear on any of our many trips to Yellowstone. I'm jealous!

suzan said...

beautiful pictures! I am in need of a Yellowstone trip. Greg keeps telling me our kids are too young to enjoy it, but this post proves him wrong ha! Thanks :)