Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I can be your protector!

We went camping last weekend in the Pioneer Mountains
(Copper Basin, Iron Bog Lake Trailhead)
above Ketchum.
It was pretty remote and high up,
so I told Ben I would feel more comfortable if he brought his gun.
You know...just in case
some wild animal decided to check out our tent.

The boys asked why daddy had his gun.
I explained that he had it because he was the protector of our family.


The next morning, Bryce showed me his "gun"...
the stick slung over his shoulder and said,
"Mom, I can be your protector, now."
One day you will be, son.
What a great kid!


We did some bike riding

through the many creeks that continually crossed the road,

while wearing our crooked helmuts,

and showing off our battle wounds.

Bryson did plenty of "treasure" hunting...
or finding special rocks,
while wearing mis-matched socks
and showing off his big smile

Two brothers who love to go camping
and a little sister who is so happy
she can get around on her own
and eat as much dirt as she can before mom catches her.
Besides the dirt, she is ready and waiting for our
yummy dutch oven dinner
We also went on a hike up towards
Iron Bog Lake
(9 miles was the entire trail--
NO WAY)
Me & Colt
after I had already run the trail back & forth 2 extra times--
once to get sunscreen
second to get a diaper & wipes
I wanted a workout - and I got it!
Maybe next time I'll prepare better, though.
The only reason we can do hikes like this...thanks stroller.

Even Atlas needed a little rest from hiking after
cooling off in a stream.

Not only are our kids growing up so fast,
but our dog is getting pretty old, too.
Since when did we let him ride?
I guess we are feeling sorry for his old, tired body.
Great weekend! Perfect weather! Great kids! Except...
Anna, you can sleep better at night next time, ok?

3 comments:

Kara said...

I can't believe how big anna is getting. When i last saw her she was just a little baby=) Just so you feel better my little shih tzu is a lot younger than atlas and I have been known to give her a ride in the stroller on long walks. Hey they have short little legs. haha

suzan said...

How sweet that Bryce made a gun to protect his Mama! Looks like so much fun, and a good reminder to me that my family is way overdue for a good camping trip.

Lisa said...

You make me want to go camping! Looks like you guys had lots of fun in beautiful country. I must add that you are looking beautiful, thin, and tan as well!