Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Demitrya Jane Petzinger – Welcome to Our Family

My pregnancy with Demi was a grateful one, but a hard one on me.  It took almost two years for a baby to decide to stick it out…so we felt very blessed and grateful when the pregnancy finally took.  One of the reasons why I decided to have another baby in the first place was because my pregnancies have always been so easy --which isn’t the case with a lot of people -- so I thought I should take advantage of that fact and keep having babies.  Well, it turns out that fact wasn’t true this time.  I was miserable.  I was in a lot of pain for the majority of the pregnancy.  I was exhausted.  I knew full well that this would be the last.
I was officially due on August 3rd, but was so ready to be done, that I begged my doctor to start me.  He decided we would on July 27th.  Well, that wasn’t meant to be.  I’m almost embarrassed to admit this, but I was told I couldn’t eat anything for 12 hours prior to him inducing labor.  About 3 hours before I was to go in, I was so sick from not eating, so I ate a few crackers.  I thought—a few crackers, no big deal.  Then, I couldn’t lie when the nurse asked whether I’d eaten anything.  I told her “just a few crackers.”  Well those few crackers prevented me from having her on the 27th.  I was devastated. 
So, I my induction was moved to Friday, July 29th…but again it wasn’t meant to happen that way.  I was so determined this time-- there was no eating…not even the temptation…but it didn’t end up mattering at all.  I starved myself for more than 24 hours for no reason at all.  Labor & Delivery was so busy that day, they kept pushing me back 3 hours at a time…until finally at 6 pm, I called and said I was coming in on my own.  My contractions had started pretty consistently at about 5 pm and by 6 pm I wasn’t sure I was going to make it to the hospital in time.  We did make it, though.  I got checked in about 6:30 and shortly after my water broke at 7:30, Demi Jane joined this world at 7:50 pm.
It may have been my worst pregnancy, but it was my best delivery.  After 3 prior deliveries, 2 of them natural, I had decided this one would be natural, as well.  I was confident that I knew exactly what my body was going to do, so I felt much better prepared than I ever had before.  I thought I handled the serious contractions better than I ever had (yes, my own opinion—maybe Ben’s perspective would be different) and when it came time to push, I was ready.  Yes, I still screamed during that part (I’m the one who scares others from having a baby naturally)…but it only took a couple pushes and she was out.  The really cool thing was St Marks had “optional” mirrors above you, so I could see exactly what was happening.  I loved it.  There was something incredibly calming about watching your own miracle take place.  It sounds strange, but I’d recommend it to anyone.  All in all, I couldn’t have asked for a more wonderful labor and delivery after such a miserable pregnancy.
Not only was the labor and delivery wonderful, but this new beautiful baby girl was wonderfully perfect.  Birth is an incredible miracle and this baby is a testament to that.  I’ve said before that I believe our capacity to love expands and increases for all your children with the birth of every new child.  I often feel like my heart is going to explode with the amount of love I feel for each child. 
I believe the increase of love is the same for the father-hubby, too.  Ben has been a wonderful support through all of this.  Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to be around for most of the pregnancy—but he’d try to make up for it on the weekends when he was around.  Cleaning, cooking, keeping me off my feet were his weekends.  I think he only went snowmobiling once the entire winter.  He is always a strength to me during labor, as well.  I wasn’t ever one of those mean, belligerent wives screaming at their husband in anger during delivery…but I’m sure it was still difficult for him…and he never complained.  He did whatever I wanted him to do.  I love him so much.
IMG_0260_edited-1
7:50 pm…immediately into a very relieved mom’s arms
IMG_0261_edited-1
7:55 pm
IMG_0263  
7 lb 7 oz 18” long
IMG_0265_edited-1
8:15 pm  The kids meet Demi for the first time
 IMG_0267
 IMG_0271
 IMG_0273
IMG_0275_edited-1
IMG_0277_edited-1
Baby’s First Bath
IMG_0282
IMG_0284
IMG_0287
All clean
IMG_0288_edited-1   
A beautiful end to a beautiful day
IMG_0291
Welcome to our family, little Demitrya Jane.  We are so blessed to have you.

No comments: