So, we are finally settled here in Salt Lake City. I believe I only have a few boxes left to unpack (obviously not the essentials); although, I’m still missing some things. Hmmmm…the moving black hole. It is HOT compared to our Idaho home, but I’m ok with that knowing that winter will be 1/2 as long (except for this year, I guess). The kids will have their shortest summer ever since they got out of school June 10th in Idaho and start Aug 22nd here in Utah. We only have about 6 weeks left…and the baby is due in about 3. So, we are trying to make the best of what we’ve got of summer. It has been wonderful to be close to family. My parents live only about 8 minutes away. We’ve made every Sunday family dinner. My mom has been a HUGE help at getting me settled into the house. So far, so good.
We live on a dead-end street with PAVEMENT! Huge change for my boys and their bikes…look how fast we can go, Mom! We’ve had quite a few crashes…one with Bryson being the worst. He went over his handlebars and slid face first onto the pavement. The picture doesn’t do much justice…and thankfully, he healed up really quick. If there were a race for 8 month pregnant women sprinting, I would have won after watching him crash. I couldn’t walk the next day and helmets became the new rule.
Bryson also lost his first tooth! Yeah! He was thrilled and Anna now talks about losing her teeth all the time. “When I’m this many (holding up 5 fingers) I’m going to lose my teeth.”
The kids have also been really creative with their play. I think this little scene was my favorite.
A moving dolly with pillow and a riding little girl with safety glasses on being pulled by a tricycle driven by an 8 year old and pushed by Bryson. They went up and down the street in this thing. Notice the tricycle has one of those poles off the back that should be attached with a handle, but the handle is missing…so it won’t impale something, Dad taped a rebar cap to the end of the pole. We are red necks in the city. I think they are just so thrilled to have something to ride on besides gravel.
Our first week here, I got to see my best friend Carrie twice! We’ve only seen each other twice in the last 6 years…and now all of the sudden twice in one week. We took the kids to Liberty Park and enjoyed a little summertime treat of snow cones at the end of the hot day. It’s wonderful to have a friend that you can pick up right where you left off as if no time has passed at all. So excited we will get to see each other more now that I live in SLC and she in Denver. Much closer.
Get those fingers out of your mouth, girl!
That is our next project. The potty training is complete (it was all her!). She woke up the final week of our packing our Idaho house and said, “Mom, I’m a big girl now. I want to wear panties.” And that was it. She was done. There have been a few random accidents here and there…but there wasn’t a fight or a struggle. She had to decide.
We have also loved having our dad home every night! I had not realized how much the kids missed him. I knew I did, but I didn’t realize how much they did until I asked Bryson why he was so excited to move to Salt Lake. I thought he’d say because he would be close to Nana and Pop or his cousins…but no. He said, “Because I get to see my dad everyday!” Wow…heart breaker. It has been great. His commute is quick. Its summer, so they can stay up together later. They take Chewi to the park and run her, they go for bike rides, walks, golfing…or just hang out together.
For July 4th, we decided to return to “small town” and attend the Oakley Rodeo. We’ve always spent 4th of July in Hailey and were kind of missing all that. It was one of the best rodeos we’ve been to. QUICK moving. And Colton got to dress his cowboy part. He loves it when he gets to be a cowboy. (Actually, so does Dad.)
And just to complete this post with a few random pictures…
Anna found this kind of freaky porcelain doll of mine. It was made for me when I was probably 7 years old by my mom. I had only had it one day when the head fell off and shattered, so she made me another head only to have the doll get dropped by a brother on the tile and break again. I’ve kept it this whole time anyway…broken with a hole in its forehead. Its eyes have fallen into the head, so they are just sockets. And the doll wears my blessing dress from 36 years ago. Its yellowing and falling apart. Anyway, it was in a box that we were going through and she kind of got attached. I caught her with the doll as if it was her baby…and she was wearing the jacket of the blessing dress. This little girl doesn’t need a little baby sister or anything, does she? She is going to love it when this baby comes, I have a feeling.
We had moved our beds and were sleeping on the floor of the Idaho house for a bit…and this is what I found one morning.
Yes…this was shortly after she decided she was a big girl and didn’t even need diapers at night. Potty chair was very close by.
And…Chewi…can’t have a summer post without some Chewi pics:
And Atlas. Yes, we still have Atlas. And we still torture him almost to death. But, only almost. He still lives. Some days barely.
Yes, the tutu is Anna’s. One of Anna’s creative wardrobe pieces.
The girl lives in leggings and tutus. And they must be colorful. She is concerned that she matches, though she rarely does. She’ll figure it out eventually.
And the parting shot…one of the last days in Bellevue…Ben mowing the lawn…
with one tired little girl.
Here is to the next and last 6 weeks of summer…stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment